Poison Tree by Ghost Ship Recording Video

My sister in law who is a member of the downtown campus of the Mars HiIl church in Seattle sent me this song. I admit I am not only a little envious of her awesome church and kick butt pastor Mark Driscoll but now also of her worship team. I thought it was such a cool song that I looked it up. I'm a nerd like that. The following is written by the song writer, band member of "Ghost ship" and worship director at Mars Hill Seattle. Don't forget to push pause on the music playing on the side bar before you push play on the video.

written by Cam Huxford who is a deacon and the worship director at Mars Hill’s Downtown campus.

" didn’t have a lot of “potential.” I was just bad.

This tree bears strange fruit

There’s blood on the leaves, it’s dead at the roots

The cracked grey branches are decaying within

Just like the black poison that hangs from its limbs

“For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit.” Luke 6:43

Before I met Jesus, I was a bad tree. To put it more plainly, I was a bad person. I was not, as some might say, a good person who did bad things. I was just plain bad. There wasn’t some hidden potential goodness deep down. My badness ran deep and my sinful nature went all the way down to the roots. You could tell I was a bad tree because I bore bad fruit. That is to say, I did a lot of really evil things that hurt a lot of people. I left a wake of destruction everywhere I went.

As Jesus said, good trees don’t bear bad fruit and bad trees don’t bear good fruit. It’s as simple as that. When Pastor Mark preached on this passage back in April, he said that you can’t make the argument, “Oh, that’s a fantastic apple tree, and all it produces is grenades.” Everybody bears fruit, but some people bear fruit that is good and life-giving, and others bear that is poisonous and destructive.

“Jesus is not about making bad things a little better; He is about making things new. He makes dead men live.”

So here is what I did: I dug deep, tried harder, and managed to do some good works. I even managed to stop some of my bad behaviors. After all, nobody really wants to be a bad tree. Everyone wants to be the person who is happy, healthy, constructive, and, well, good for something. People don’t wake up in the morning saying, “Today I’ll continue being a dead-beat loser.” They wake up saying, “I can do it.” To stick with the tree metaphor, I went and stapled a bunch of fresh apples to the grenade tree.

This act of fruit-stapling is called religion. Here is how it turned out: I looked great for a really long time until the badness in me twisted and perverted all of those new good works into sin. When I did things well, I got prideful and arrogant and I sinned. When I screwed things up, I fell into despair and self-loathing and sinned some more. At the end of the day, the fruit rotted and fell off and I was left eating hand grenades. The shrapnel in my gut was a painful reminder that, not only does religion not work, but it kills.

Jesus uprooted me, and I died to myself.

Then one day Jesus came into my life and totally uprooted me. He ripped all the poisonous, wicked, sinful roots out and planted something totally new. He did what he said he’d do in Ezekiel 36:26-28:

“I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes.”

This is what the Bible calls regeneration. He gave me a new heart and, though I’m not perfect, by the power of the Spirit my life, I can bear good things like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, as it says inGalatians. Jesus is not about making bad things a little better; He is about making things new. He makes dead men live. I tried to be a better person and it didn’t work. I needed Jesus to make me a new person. I died to myself and now I live in him.

So let’s lift our voices and celebrate that the trees that were once dead, now have new roots, and now bear good fruit.

I am alive, I will abide

In the life giving blood of Christ

I’m grafted in, you’ve killed my sin

Now I will live, I’ll live in him."






Regenerated. Redeemed. Restored.

Comments

that's my cousin!! (cam huxford) awesome post. awesome song. thank you for the uplifting post. i, too am a bit jealous that i can't go! heard so many awesome things about that place. cam is an awesome guy. so exciting to see where God has led him... he truly is talented and definitely using his talents and gifts for God's glory.
Caleb said…
Hi Carla, glad you enjoyed the music. If you want you can download or listen to a bunch of Ghost Ship songs here: http://downtownseattle.marshillchurch.org/category/media/music-media/

-Caleb

Popular posts from this blog

Attached

What your Church needs from you. A letter to the big, messy, adoptive family.

About Elijah