11/2/13

Gonna Fly Away....to Seattle.




{Halloween 2013}


The last couple days I've had a song stuck in my head.

I'll Fly Away  (with some alterations)


Some bright morning when this week is over
I'll fly away
To that home on Seattle's rainy shore
I'll fly away

I'll fly away oh glory
I'll fly away (in the morning)
On Sunday hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away

When the shadows of this week have gone
I'll fly away
Like a bird from these prison walls I'll fly
I'll fly away

Oh how glad and happy when we meet
I'll fly away
No more five kids hanging on my feet
I'll fly away

Just a few more weary days and then
I'll fly away
To a land where my BFF awaits
I'll fly away


If you want the song stuck in your head too, click here.  Because who doesn't love a good banjo.  You're welcome.

It's true.  I'm leaving them all behind.  My husband and all my kids.
I'm absolutely giddy about it, although my sheer delight is interrupted occasionally by pangs of guilt, not guilt over leaving but guilt over being so darn thrilled about it.  

I keep thinking I should at least feel a little hesitant, or sad about going...
but so far I can't even manage to muster a little tear, not even a fake one. 

If we can make our way through the snow storm that's on it's way, we will be driving to the City tomorrow and I will be waving goodbye to my 6 Treasures as I fly off to a strange and far away land.  Seattle.

I will be landing in Seattle and spending four days with my sister in law Brook and my nephew. YAYNESS!  
 This is my same friend and sister who has spent the last four summers as part of our crew. We've  known each other for nearly five years but I've never been to her home in down town Seattle.  My hubby and I lived near Seattle for three years back before we had kids, but he had been estranged from his sister since they were little kids.  We actually had no idea we were living that close to his only sister at the time.  Now that we are good friends, we live super far away from each other.

Another reason I'm going on a little mini-vacay is to attend a conference at my Brook's home church in Seattle.   Marshill Downtown has a pretty cool old building that they recently moved into, and now they're hosting R13.  
So excited.  Awesome bands.  Some great preaching.  Hanging out with a bunch of people who love Jesus and lean hard into God's grace.

Another perk is that there are several others flying down from my own church in Saskatchewan Canada.   




So in summary...
four days with no kids
mini-vacay 
hanging with my BFF 
going to a conference filled with some of my fave preachers (like Matt Chandler!!!!)
excellent live music from some of my favorite bands, and worshiping Jesus together with people from all over.
AND hanging with close friends from my own church family!

Awesomeness.   Even if I'm still using crutches. 

Now I'm just trying not to freak about this snow storm on it's way.   Can't miss that plane!

This is my first trip anywhere alone, which does make me a little nervous (I'm not a big fan of wandering through airports)
and it's my husbands first time parenting alone for any extended amount of time.  I know they will all do fine.  After all me having a broken leg for the past six weeks has been great practice for them.

Resurgence Conference 2013

You can even join me watch it for free online.

Did I mention I'm super duper excited?

These kids will be in good Daddy hands while I'm gone.  




Less than a week after I return home, Elijah is having surgery on both of his legs.  He will likely be in full leg casts for several weeks.  I'm glad I will be getting that few days of refreshment before we start on this newest stress adventure.

I'm hoping that by then I will be able to do some walking free of crutches, and that I can trade my cast, for his.   Both of us in casts is a bit tricky.

But I'm not going to think about, or stress about that the next couple months just yet, because tomorrow I'm going to fly away.


Tomorrow is also "Orphan Sunday",  a great time to reflect, dig deep, and ask God what he would have us do.  So many kids around the world are waiting to be loved, and to belong, waiting for someone to come for them, waiting for someone to say "yes".

Orphan care
Orphan prevention
foster care
Adoption

So many ways to be involved.

Francis Chan For Orphan Sunday from Christian Alliance for Orphans on Vimeo.

Hope is Fading – Orphan Sunday from Allan Rosenow on Vimeo.

Soli Deo Gloria,

1 comment:

Monique said...

thanks for up-dating us about Elijah. We will be praying for him...I think my friend's daughter have had similar surgeries, so I know it can be rough
(Hannah's mom)
Monique

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...