2/21/11

Unwanted



I came across a blog "ticker" recently counting the women and babies victimized by abortions.  As much as I don't really care for cliche bumper sticker type advertisements for causes  this one caused me to stop and think for a minute.
So often we become so immune to reality.  We pick our "causes", what we stand for and what we don't, and we close our eyes to everything else.  Sometimes we wear those like a badge, and identify ourselves by them.
We are "pro", or  "anti" we are advocates for one thing or another.  We consider ourselves activists if we put a cheesy bumper sticker on our cars or copy and paste a button or ticker onto our website.

Numbers mean very little to us.   Big deal. Tens of thousands of children will die of starvation and preventable disease today.  So what?  My kids have plenty to eat.    Abortion kills more than 46,000,000 children each year.  Oh well.  They weren't wanted anyway. They weren't really human.  They would have just been a burden to society.

It's easy to appease our consciences with rationalization.

It's easy to have no conscience at all.



Right now I'm glancing over at my little girl sitting in her highchair gobbling up pieces of zuchinni bread.   Her hair is a mess of wild unruly curls.  Her dark brown eyes captivate me.   Her flirting joyful smile puts a smile on my own face.   My heart is so filled with love for this girl that sometimes I think it might burst.  She explores, smooches, plays and giggles her way through each day.

Just one glance at this girl and all our justifications are exposed for the lies that they are.

The reality is,
not too long ago she was an unwanted, unplanned for "fetus".
She is a statistic.   A result of a broken society and a hurting people.   She is the "burden on society" we desire to extinguish.  She was the inconvenience to someones lifestyle.  She was the human "weed" that the founder of Planned Parenthood, and her eugenics ideology sought to extinguish.  Born poor, diseased, a racial minority, and budding out of a family tree riddled with pain and crime.  She was what justifies the abortion industry in the eyes of our society.

I look at my beautiful daughter...
and suddenly those numbers on the ticker have a face.

By all  secular reason, logic, and rationalization she never should have been born.

Sadly, I have never met her birth mother.  I pray that someday I will.   I want to thank her.  I want to love her as the woman who gave life to my child...the one who gave her gorgeous eyes.

I don't know if this pregnancy was continued  intentionally or if our girl was born by default, but I know there are a lot of people in the world who would insist that it should have been ended.  One more child murdered by choice.  One more problem solved.

I understand that this world is complicated.  So many issues.  So many root causes.  Generations of brokenness, addictions, and hurt.
A culture that values selfishness and convenience over life.
There are no easy solutions.  So many babies abandoned, neglected or destroyed by the addictions of their mother before they are ever born.   It is a problem.
I don't pretend to have all the answers...




but I know the One who does.
His purposes cannot be silenced.


I grieve for what my daughter was exposed to before she ever took her first breath.
I don't hate her biological mother for it.

I am sad for her mother, for all that she has lost.
My heart breaks for her as another human being, as a mother who has lost a child.
What road has she travelled to take her to that place?

Orphans are easier to ignore before you look into their eyes and know their names.   Unwanted, abused, and abandoned children are easier to cast aside to be dealt with by government programs before they turn your world upside down.  "Unwanted" babies are easier to silence  before they take their first breath and look you in the eyes.

Holding a sign or a flaunting a bumper sticker is all fine and good but....
where are the homes and the hearts waiting to embrace the unprepared frightened mother and the "unwanted" baby?

It's easier to condemn, justify  and overlook.

Although no one in this world was fighting for our precious Miss Cece while she was in her mothers womb. God was knitting her together for a purpose.
He was protecting her little body and mind.
He was drawing her out of the wreckage for his glory.
If only to give us a glimpse of his heart.


The truth is she was never unwanted.  There wasn't a moment of her existence that she was unloved or unknown by the one who gave her life.































"A nation that kills it's own children is a Nation without hope"  Pope John Paul II

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And now I hopped back forgeting whose blog I'd already gone to. BUu this was very well put.

Shannon said...

wow. wow. so very good and true.

Alison said...

You said it all very well! Thanks for being such a strong advocate for life. It's nice to see that in the blog-world!