4/7/11

My Empty Cradle


11 years ago my husband had spent hours working on this cradle in preparation for our first child.   As the day of our son's arrival drew closer this nearly finished cradle was set aside and work began on a new project.  
A beautifully crafted little box that would hold the ashes of our first born.
The cradle sat empty.

On the bottom was written,  
built in memory of Samuel.

Although Miss Cece moved to a crib several months ago this cradle still sits in her room.  It is typically either filled with toys and stuffed animals or clean laundry that needs to be put away.
If I lay on the floor and look up at the bottom of the cradle there are seven names and birth dates now written on it.

My empty cradle has held more little ones than I ever expected.    
 There was a time when I feared that it would remain empty.  God had a different plan. 

My empty cradle was a part of that purpose.

Beauty out of ashes.




This cradle never held my first born, but what a beautiful way for Samuel's legacy to live on.  

If it hadn't sat empty, would I have been open to allow God to fill it?


{Miss Cece}


{Silas at 2 years old pretending to be a baby}


{Cub}

{Peanut}

It holds so many stories of expectation, grief, longing, joy, learning to be a mother, sickness, love, worry, colic, sleeplessness, goodbyes, and welcoming new life.


{Silas}
{Aili}
{Roman}

I don't know what names will be added to this cradle in the future.   Perhaps my children will borrow it to use for my grandchildren.   Maybe we will add more foster baby's names to the list.  
Only God knows.

"You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
Oh Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever."
psalms 30:11-12

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Precious Carla. I love that you can see the beauty now. So many never do. He has turned our mourning into dancing - let's dance together friend.
Much love.
Lynnette