3/28/13

From orphan to son



Two months ago today I pressed my thumb down into red ink and forever sealed the document saying we take full responsibility for this child as our son.  The fees had been paid, the qualifications had been met,  the requirements had been accomplished.  
Before he even knew who we were, we pursued him.  
Before he loved us, we loved him. 
... and now it was finished.  

 Elijah's hand was pressed into that same red ink staining his hand and sleeve with the proof of his adoption.  From orphan to son in an instant.  Chosen.






Two thousand years ago another Son's hand was stained red as an adoption was sealed.  My own adoption required payment for a debt I couldn't pay, and it required sacrificial love that I have no way to earn.  It required Jesus who lived for eternity past in perfect community within the Trinity, who is worshiped continuously by Angels crying "holy holy holy" leaving the throne to enter into our mess.  He lived the perfect life I couldn't live, and died the death I deserved to die...the qualifications were met.  
On the cross the payment was made.  

Before I even knew him, he sought me. 
Before I loved Him, He loved me.

Good Friday is good because that's when my Jesus cried "It is finished"
He accomplished what he came for. 
Repentance is a beautifully merciful word....
it beckons us to leave behind the orphanage bars, and come.  
Come home.  


"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.  In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will- to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.  In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. " 
 Eph. 1: 4-9









2 comments:

Ali said...

Thank you for sharing this beautifully written reminder of how adoption here on earth is a mirror of the adoption we are blessed with as the Father God calls us His own. May God bless your family and your heart.

Jenn @Treasuring Lifes Blessings said...

Beautiful analogy! Thank you for sharing!